The Victorian Government committed $447.5 million dollars for the redevelopment of the Box Hill Hospital, which has a construction completion date set for end 2015. The hospital has remained operational throughout the redevelopment, which is occurring over two stages.
Stage one was the construction of a new 10-storey building (opened to the public on 12 August 2014) and featured:
- a larger emergency department with 19 extra cubicles
- 10 new operating theatres
- a new 18-bed intensive care unit
- a dedicated precinct for women’s health services
- expanded services for cardiology, cancer and renal patients
- more than 200 additional beds, and
- an extra 220 additional public car parking services.
Stage two of the redevelopment is the refurbishment to the existing hospital to increase its consulting and support capacity. It will be completed by the end of 2015.