3. Steering committee (SC)
The steering committee (SC) is responsible for overseeing the planning and design of the major capital plans and projects for the relevant health service / agency. This includes setting the strategic framework and making decisions that will form the basis of actions and priorities to be taken by the project planning team (PPT) and project control group (PCG).
The SC will be required to:
- receive and consider regular progress reports
- consult with key stakeholder groups
- make recommendations and / or endorsements.
The SC role includes making decisions and directing the work to be undertaken by the PPT. It is the SC responsibility to ensure appropriate representation and consideration of all issues and views during key phases such as development of the business case.
SC meetings are held bi-monthly or quarterly. Monthly meetings are held for major projects specific committees.
Membership of the SC is to include ‘key partners' that have a critical decision making role in the development of the project. The structure underneath the SC is to be developed to ensure relevant interested parties are provided with an appropriate level of input and consultation to the project.
Generally, the SC is comprised of health service / agency senior managers, CEO or board members and Department of Health representatives drawn from areas such as the relevant program / division, region and Infrastructure Planning and Delivery (IPD) branch. It is expected the SC will consist of four to six members who will have the delegated authority from their department or organisation to make recommendations, and / or endorsements as required by the specific phase of a project.
A quorum will be achieved when there are two representatives from the health service / agency and two representatives from the department to be present.
The SC will be chaired by the department and secretariat services will be provided by the IPD branch of the department.
Membership will be drawn typically from the following:
Health service / agency
- board member(s)
- chief executive officer (or nominated representative)
- director / unit manager
Health service / agency managers are deemed to be expert in matters associated with delivery of services from a particular facility and focused on these issues.
- director IPD (or nominated project manager representative)
- program director (or nominated project officer representative)
- regional director (or nominated project officer representative)
Program managers and regional staff are deemed to be expert in matters associated with services delivery strategies and state and departmental wide issues and focused on these issues.
The SC is responsible for:
- ensuring that planning processes for health service / agency service and capital planning remains consistent with Health service or agency vision, mission and values and relevant government policies
- developing and articulating strategic directions and objectives
- initiating and overseeing required actions through the PPT to achieve the required deliverables
- assessing and making recommendations on planning, financing and implementation of capital development projects, including:
- setting timetables for the project within the government's agreed timeframe and monitoring progress
- approving and monitoring project management arrangements
- monitoring quality aspects within the defined parameters / specifications
- ensuring a comprehensive consultation and communication strategy is developed and implemented
- ensuring clear communication and effective management of project's interaction with other projects.
- considering advice and recommendations provided by the PPT, PCG and project working groups (PWG) as required to facilitate project objectives and responsibilities
- identifying and monitoring risks and issues management including a risk escalation process
- ensuring a comprehensive consultation and communication strategy with relevant stakeholders
- ensuring the interests of respective organisations are effectively represented during the life of the health service or agency service and capital planning projects.