The attached risk assessment form shall be completed by the successful tenderer in relation to the contract works and submitted to the principal for approval prior to commencement. The primary objectives of the risk assessment are to:
- identify hazards associated with contract tasks and activities
- determine the level of risk
- establish appropriate risk control measures
- each major or significant task or activity associated with the contract shall be assessed in terms of the associated hazards. When all hazards have been identified the most likely outcome as a result of an incident shall be determined.
Risks shall be classified according to the following schedule:
- class 1: potential to cause death or permanent injury
- class 2: potential to cause one or more lost time injuries
- class 3: potential to cause an injury treatable with first aid.
A primary goal shall be to eliminate class 1 and 2 risks associated with the contract and should be a major focus of the risk assessment. Contractors should detail risk control measures that adequately address all identified class 1 and 2 risks. When determining risk control strategies, the hierarchy of controls summarised below should be considered.