Royal Children's Hospital
The new Royal Children’s Hospital (RCH) was officially opened by Her Majesty The Queen in late October 2011. Following the opening, works commenced on Stage 2 of the project. These works are currently underway and will be completed by the end of 2014.
The Project is being delivered as a Public Private Partnership, with the state contracting with the Children’s Health Partnership consortium for the design, construction, financing and 25 years maintenance of the new hospital.
Current works (Stage 2)
Stage 2 of the project includes:
- demolition of most of the old hospital buildings (now complete)
- construction of additional underground car park spaces, a hotel, staff gymnasium, additional childcare facilities, consulting suites and other general retail outlets
- reinstatement of the old hospital site as parkland.
More information regarding the reinstatement of parkland can be found by visiting the Return to Royal Park project website.
The hospital has won over 30 national and international awards. These include:
- Best Public Building at Property Council of Australia Innovation and Excellence Awards 2013
- Best International Health Project at the International Design and Health Academy Awards 2012
- Multiple awards at the Victorian Architecture Awards 2012.
- Click here to view the full list.
- Australian Constructors Association (ACA) and Engineers Australia
- Australian Construction Achievement Award 2013 (Joint winner)
Australian Institute of Architects’ National Architecture Awards 2012
- National Award for Public Architecture (Winner)
Australian Institute of Building - National Professional Excellence in Building Awards 2012
- Bill Alexandrakis, Lend Lease Senior Construction Manager on RCH Project (Winner)
Australian Interior Design Awards 2012
- Premier Award for Interior Design Excellence and Innovation (Winner)
- Public Design (Winner)
- Colour in Commercial Design (Winner)
- Best of State Commercial Design (Award Recipient)
Australian Property Institute - Excellence in Property Awards 2012
- Property Development Award (Winner)
- Environmental Development Award (Winner)
Building Products News - Sustainability Awards 2012
- Public Building and Urban Design Award (Winner)
- Best of the Best (Winner)
Consult Australia - Awards for Excellence 2012
- Collaboration Award, Gold Award (Winner)
- Sustainability (High Commendation)
Dulux Colour Awards 2012
- Grand Prix Award (Winner)
- Commercial Interior Awards (Winner)
Infrastructure Partnerships Australia’s National Infrastructure Awards 2012
- Project of the Year (Winner)
Interior Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) 2012
- Public Space (Winner)
- Overall Prize (winner)
International Design and Health Academy Awards 2012
- Best International Health Project over 40,000 sqm (Winner)
- Interior Design (Winner)
- Sustainable Design (Winner)
- Use of Art in the Patient Environment (Commendation)
International Interior Design Association Global Excellence Awards 2012
- Best of Competition (Winner)
LEAF (Leading European Architects Forum) Awards (2012)
- International Interior Design Award (Winner)
Property Council of Australia Innovation and Excellence Awards (2013)
- Victorian Development of the Year (Winner)
- Best Public Building (Winner)
Victorian Architecture Awards 2012
- Victorian Architecture Medal (Winner)
- William Wardell Award Public Architecture (Winner)
- Melbourne Prize (Winner)
- Interior Architecture (Commendation).
World Architecture Festival Awards 2012
- World’s Best Health Building (Winner)
Landscaping Victoria Awards 2011
- Landscape of the Year (Winner)
Master Builders Association of Victoria Excellence in Construction Awards 2012
- Construction of Commercial Buildings over $80m (Winner)
Master Builder Association of Victoria - National Excellence in Building and Construction Awards 2010
- Safety Category (Award Winner - Lend Lease)
Photos and multimedia
Take a virtual tour of the new Royal Children's Hospital, which includes a slideshow of the new hospital.
Contact details for The Royal Children's Hospital can be found here.
The Department of Health and Human Service's project team can be contacted via email@example.com or on 1300 1 639 724.